Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hunting Season

Well I'm not much of a hunter myself. Pretty hypocritical given my tendancy to eat meat in all shapes and sizes! So with this lame introduction I present venison.

A good friend landed himself a deer the other day and provided me with a couple of venison loints. What to do what to do. Since I know that he know's his stuff (bleed out the deer correctly and so forth) I was confident that it wouldn't be too gamey.

I have a pile of blueberries left over from picking this summer so I started to think, why not dry rub and grill the loin, slice it up and serve it with a blueberry sauce. Being a little lazy and not having anything on hand to serve it with I decided to make it in too sandwiches using the home made pita bread I had made the night before.

Overall a winner I would say, like always lots of bold flavored and cooked as we like it!

Without further ado:

Venison Rub

- First salt the loin and let it come up to room temperature. What I mean by this is put an amount of salt on too it that you would put on to the meat if it was sitting in front of you on the table. I leave salt out of all my rubs to better control the component in the final taste. I let these loins come up to room temperature salted for about an hour.

- 2 Tablespoons Juniper Berries
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Chipotle Pepper Ground
- 1 Teaspoon Aleppo Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Corriander

Toast the whole spices, grind together in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and mix all the ingredients together.
Blueberry Sauce
1 Large White onion
4 Cloves Garlic
1.5 Cups Blueberries
1 Cup Blueberry WIne
1 Cup Red Wine
1 Cup Chicken Stock
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tablespoon Thyme

- Coarsley chop and sautee onion until soft, add chopped garlic for about a minute not allowing it to brown.
- Add blueberries and stir, let cook for about a minute, add wines and stock, bring to a boil and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, allowing to reduce as well - Take off the heat, puree with hand blender and add in lemon juice and stir in the thyme

Time to Eat!

2 comments: